Olivet provides traditional cable TV programming via a single wall outlet in student housing, per apartment and dorm room. The lineup includes the channel programming available from the Chicago market.
To view programming, a coaxial cable will need to be connected from the wall outlet to the TV. Perform a channel scan on the TV, making sure the input is set to “cable” and not “antenna” or “air”. If you are unsure about this procedure, refer to the television user manual.
Some older or less expensive televisions will not be able to receive the ONU cable TV signal. A converter box may need to be purchased in this case. We currently recommend the iView 3300STB, which cost in the $40-$50 range. The set top box may be used after leaving ONU, in conjunction with an antenna to view over the air content.
Another option would be the purchase of a Roku television. These are typically priced in the $120-$160 range. These sets allow viewing of the ONU cable TV signal, as well as many other live TV programs, and is equipped with a channel guide. In addition, there are many streaming apps that can be downloaded, such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc., and this type of device can be used after leaving ONU.
If a resident would like additional content, they may purchase personal subscriptions to IPTV services such as Hulu+ Live TV, YouTube TV, or Sling TV. The university does not provide any IPTV services for residents. IPTV services are available for purchase from various companies, a CNET article published in May 2023 lists services according to various attributes:
- Hulu Plus Live TV – Best streaming bundle
- YouTube TV – Best channel selection
- Sling TV – Best bargain
- DirecTV Stream – Best for channel flippers, sports fans
The complete article may be found here:
Some Common Issues
- There is no picture or sound on my TV.
- The lower channels are choppy or not very clear.
- There are no channels above channel 13.
- Perform a channel scan on your TV, ensuring it is set to “cable” and not “antenna” or “air”.
- Make sure the cable connected between the wall outlet and the TV is connected securely.
- Use a different coaxial cable to connect between the wall outlet and the TV.
- The TV may not be able to receive the ONU cable TV signal and would require the use of a converter box or Roku device as described above.