This utility is designed to streamline the sharing and publishing of video, audio and image content. Think of it like YouTube, but it is Olivet's videos. The content is stored in a cloud-based video library called Kaltura MediaSpace and is available for use by all ONU Faculty, Staff and Students. After your content is uploaded here, links and embed codes can be used that will allow you to share your media content to others.
What can I do with it?
- Host a virtual classroom using Kaltura Virtual Classroom
- Store content - Unlimited, secure storage for audio, video and other types of rich-media content.
- Secure publishing and sharing of recorded content.
- Easily convert presentations or lectures to video.
- Make it easy for students to view videos. Kaltura detects the type of device (computer, phone, tablet, etc.) and provides playback in a compatible format.
- Provide captions to videos. Kaltura provides 85% accurate machine captions that can be requested for any video.
What can I record?
Any screen capture or webcam recording.
- Log in to video.olivet.edu with your Olivet credentials
- Select Add New
- Select Kaltura Capture
Can I upload using my mobile device?
Yes. Kaltura MediaSpace supports using iOS, Android and other mobile devices.
Can I upload a very large video?
There is not a technical file size limit on the videos that Kaltura MediaSpace can store, but anything over 2GB could cause significant issues with your device depending on how you upload. While following guidelines won't guarantee your video will upload, we have seen less problems with videos that follow a few rules.
We recommend the following for uploading videos
- filesize of 1.5 GB or less
- video dimensions of 1280x720 or less
Are there restrictions on content that is uploaded?
Content uploaded to video.olivet.edu is expected to conform to ONU’s Acceptable Use policy.
Kaltura Virtual Classroom
Kaltura has provided a new service free for 90 days to help hosting classes online. See more in our article about Kaltura Virtual Classroom.
What file formats can I upload?
The following lists commonly used media formats and codecs that were tested and optimized for transcoding and delivery by Kaltura. Additional codecs and formats are supported by the underlying encoder engines and can be ingested and transcoded by Kaltura.
The following video formats and codecs have been tested and optimized for optimal transcoding input:
Media File Formats
- Mpeg-4 and QuickTime Formats (MP4, MOV, QT and M4V)
- Flash Video (FLV and F4V)
- Microsoft Windows Formats (AVI, ASF, WMV and WMA)
- MPEG-1/2 (MPG. M1V, M2V and MP3)
- Matroska (MKV)
- Webex (ARF)
Audio File Formats