All students are responsible for having a device that allows effective learning both in class and remotely.
Devices must be able to perform these tasks:
- Canvas.olivet.edu - the ability to participate in our online learning environment including uploading and downloading content.
- Video conferencing - the ability to communicate effectively (with video and audio) using services like Microsoft Teams, BigBlueButton and Zoom.
- Microsoft Office 365 (Free as an Olivet Student) - the ability to produce and submit work for class using these products.
- Discipline specific requirements - some majors or areas of study require special equipment or the ability to run special software. The department for your area of study will provide information and/or answer any questions.
Computer specifications in order of priority:
- Apple MacOS or Microsoft Windows 10
- Integrated webcam and microphone or equivalent
- At least 8GB of RAM
- Core i5 CPU or equivalent
- SSD that has 256GB or more
- 8+ hours battery life
- 1080p screen
- We recommend purchasing an extended warranty/support from the manufacturer.
- Although some ChromeBooks work well in many situation, some limitations may prevent students from completing class work. (example: full downloadable version of Microsoft Word, not available on ChromeBooks, is recommended for producing documents with complex APA formatting)
- Mobile phones are great back-up devices however, they do not work as a primary student device.
- Printing is available on campus using Tiger Dollars $.04 B&W and $.10 Color per page.