All students are responsible for having a laptop that allows effective learning both in class and remotely.
Laptops must run either MacOS or Microsoft Windows and be able to perform these tasks:
- Canvas.olivet.edu - the ability to participate in our online learning environment including uploading and downloading content.
- Video conferencing - the ability to communicate effectively (with video and audio) using services like Microsoft Teams.
- Microsoft Office 365 (Free as an Olivet Student) - the ability to produce and submit work for class using these products.
- Discipline specific requirements - some majors or areas of study require special equipment or the ability to run special software. The department for your area of study will provide information and/or answer any questions.
Computer specifications in order of priority:
- Apple MacOS, Microsoft Windows
- Integrated webcam and microphone or equivalent
- At least 8GB of RAM - 16GB is better
- Core i5 CPU or equivalent - M1 or better chip for Apple laptops.
- 256GB of storage or more (solid state, NVMe)
- 8+ hours battery life
- 1080p screen
- HDMI out or output adapter. This allows students to share content from their computer in classrooms.
- We recommend purchasing an extended warranty/support from the manufacturer.
- Although ChromeBooks work well in many situations, there are limitations that prevent students from completing some required work. (example: compatibility issues with proctoring and testing software used on campus and inability to download full versions of applications like Microsoft Word.)
- Mobile phones are great back-up devices however, they do not work well as a primary student device.
- Printing is available on campus using Tiger Dollars $.04 B&W and $.10 Color per page.